Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Common Unhappiness



common unhappiness (noun) : 1. ordinary sadness, as opposed to hysterical misery; 2. an acceptable level of misery; see also, Dante's first rung of hell
____________________________________________________________________

The bluestraveler is on jury duty this week.

The misery of this experience most likely stems from the destruction of a once deeply held belief in justice and the judicial system. Much in the same way that I lost the belief that my parents actually knew what they were doing as parents, the judicial system now simply frightens me with its raised fist coming down on my head. And rightly so, since that system, like my parents did, has the power to take away my freedom.

I sometimes wonder why I didn't lose my faith in the system at the same time I began to distrust my parents. Maybe that fist didn't beat sense into my head like my mother said it would.

Anyway, back to jury duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment