Wednesday, October 27, 2010

People Pleasing Syndrome



people pleasing syndrome (noun) : the effort one goes through merely to become a doormat
_____________________________________

Disclaimer: "People Pleasing Syndrome" is not something that either I or my therapist could claim I have (or even have knowledge of). I'm sure that he would say I'm more likely to have "People Pissing Off Syndrome" and he wouldn't be entirely wrong there. But that's another blog posting.

I wasn't even sure that this was a psychological disorder until I saw that it already had been published as such in more than several books such as:

- The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome

- Too Nice for Your Own Good: How to Stop Making 9 Self-Sabotaging Mistakes

- When I Say No, I Feel Guilty: How to Cope, Using the Skills of Systematic Assertive Therapy

Background: I've been away this month and have had sporadic access to the Internet; hence my lack of October posts. Despite being away, the only comments I've had to the blog were somewhat negative. One person asking about my "missing voice" and another looking for something a bit more cheery.

Post: Rather than risk needing more therapy in trying to please my apparently very small readership base, I'm going to stick with what I've got and improve upon that. As for a response to my small but vocal readers, that will be in the aforementioned "People Pissing Off" post!

No comments:

Post a Comment