Tuesday, October 25, 2011

what have you done with your hair?


passive aggressive (adjective) : a type of behavior or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation
_________________________________

Passive aggressive behavior has always been a bit difficult for me to recognize. (Much like my ability to pronounce the word, "narcissist" - for years I called the flowers, 'Paperwhites' because I couldn't say the word correctly). Neither is a coincidence, believe me.

Sure, the definition might sound simple - a non-active form of anger such as pouting, passive obstructionism, chronic lateness, asking things like, "You're not going out like that, are you?", sulking, stubbornness, and intentional procrastination when these behaviors are motivated by the intent of irritating or getting back at another person - but there are sooooo many ways to indirectly express anger, and passive aggressive people are very, very good at this behavior.

The key now for me is to recognize when I'm triggered to feel aggressive or angry, and then examine what triggered me, whether it was someone's behavior, and what about that behavior did the trick.

Not easily done when you're angry, but practice makes perfect, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment